Saturday, November 14, 2009

When should I plant wheat grass seeds?

I am using wheat grass center pieces at the reception for my wedding. I have bought a kit to grow at home and it tells me all of the directions except for how long it will take to grow. I want the grass to be about 5 - 6 inches tall by June 7th. So my question is how long will it take to grow it and when should I plant the seeds?

When should I plant wheat grass seeds?
It germinates fairly quickly if you soak the seeds over night. We tell out customers to soak them. I don't know if your directions tell you to do that or not but follow you're directions. Unsoaked it takes about 10-14 days to germinate and in good potting soil it can grow an inch a week so you'd need about 7 weeks to get 5-6" tall. I've seen it used that way--it's very attractive.





One caution. If it overgrows and you cut it it can cause the tips (where cut) to turn brown. It probably wouldn't be noticeable to anybody except a perfectionist. But I know how people are about weddings. If you want them uncut and you think you're ahead of schedule you can put them in your refridgerator to slow them down.
Reply:Planting it at the end of April should give you lots of time. If it's too tall you can always cut it back... better early than late.





Although most people who grow wheat grass for eating/drinking only let it grow for 8-14 days...





Wikipedia says:


"Winter wheat requires more than 200 days of slow growth in cold temperatures to reach the peak nutritional content. Even after that long of time, the plant is only 7 to 10 inches high."





Sorry, kind of conflicting information.


No comments:

Post a Comment